Monday 16 April 2007

Delayed Write Nightmare SOLVED!!!

I have been having problems using and external Hard Disk (Seagate ST316002 - IDE - 7200 RPM ) and a carrying case 3.5" (Noganet USB 2.0 External Case) under Windows XP. Sometimes I got the error message "Delayed Write Failed" and many files are trimmed to zero bytes (M$ Magic).
At last I discovered the problem and the solution (just changed a 1 for a 0).
The problem was the value of the LargeSystemCache registry key. One of the video drivers I tested modified the value and I didn't notice that change until now.

The Registry Key is :

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management


Now the disk is working fine under Windows.

I forgot to say that according to Micro$oft the problem was :
•You are using a 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
• Your BIOS settings are configured to force faster UDMA modes.

As you can see here :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174/en-us

No comments: